The charge to P5 was issued by Dr. Asmeret Asefaw Berhe, Director of Office of Science, Department of Energy, and Dr. Sean L. Jones, Assistant Director, Directorate for Mathematical and Physical Sciences, National Science Foundation, to the HEPAP chair JoAnne Hewett on November 2, 2022. The P5 report is expected to be released in October 2023.
P5 is chaired by Hitoshi Muryama and deputy chair Karsten Heeger.
- P5 will hold a session “Discussion with P5” at the upcoming APS April Meeting on Saturday, April 15, 2023 . Please join us!
- P5 subpanel on cost/schedule/risk will sent out request for project information during the week of April 10, 2023, starting with the largest US projects in HEP.
We will have four town hall meetings in hybrid mode with people in the community to give short presentations on issues, visions, science, projects of interest to the field, including an open-mic session. If people want to speak privately with the panel, we will try to accommodate the request as much as we can, especially for early career scientists. They are not tied to any specific Snowmass frontiers.
In addition, we will have a set of invited talks at the meetings cenetered around some of the Snowmass frontiers, on the visions of the communities and specific set of projects. This is an important part of the information gathering mode for the panel.
- P5 Town Hall at Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, February 22-24, 2023 with a focus on Cosmic Frontier (except for High-Energy Astrophysics)
- P5 Town Hall at Fermilab/Argonne, March 21-24, 2023 with a focus on Neutrino, Rare Processes and Precision Frontier, High-Energy Astrophysics
- P5 Town Hall at Brookhaven, April 11-14, 2023 with a focus on Energy, Instrumentation, Computational Frontiers
- P5 Town Hall at SLAC, May 2-5, 2023 with a focus on Underground, Accelerator, Theory Frontiers, Community Engagemen
We also held a session “Discussion with P5” at the APS April Meeting on Saturday, April 15, 2023 .
Virtual Town Halls
We plan for additional virtual 1/2 day town halls to receive more input from the community. Details are forthcoming. We will make some of them specific to early career scientists in closed settings.
- week of June 5
- week of June 26
Request for Project Information
In addition to the town halls, the P5 panel will request information on cost, schedule, risks and science goals from projects. P5 chair Murayama has charged a separate sub-panel chaired by Jay Marx to evaluate cost, schedule, and risks. The request for information will be sent out during the week of April 10, 2023 starting with the largest projects in the field.
Over the coming months there will be a series of closed meetings for the P5 panel.